Sunday, October 25, 2009

Cuddle Time, Wk Recap, Eye/Headache, Grandma Cancer

I can't believe it's already Sunday. I've been writing here and there on my blog and think I finally have time to finish and post. So here's somethings that have happened with the Carriker family this past week.

Sometimes it's just nice to take the time and soak up everything that the Lord has blessed you with. This is exactly what I did Monday and Tuesday afternoon. Jr had woke up early from his afternoon nap, so rather than keep him awake or try to soothe him back to sleep in his crib, I grab him and we headed to Mommy & Daddy's room. Mommy and Daddy took turns cuddling with Jr, who feel asleep as soon as he got comfortable on our chest. We just relaxed as a family; it truly was the high of my day. It really couldn't have got much better than that.....simply AMAZING!

Tuesday Jr set another record, he decided to eat over 15-16 oz at a single feeding. The rest of the day he'd eaten really well (10 oz) and then came the 4 o'clock feeding. He became our bottomless pit, who wasn't happy unless you gave him more milk. I finally nursed him for awhile, hoping it would tire him out a little. In the end he was still kind of hungry, but we decided he'd be good till his last feeding (given we'd been feeding for 1:30).

Tuesday Jr turned 3 months old (technically 13 wks 1 day)! He's grown so much physically, mentally, emotionally, in every way possible from July 21st. Susan, the teacher assigned to us through the Parents as Teacher Program, came to visit today. She seemed impressed by his ability to fluctuate his voice when making ooh and ahhh noises. She told us to really encourage tummy time and rolling over. He was such a talker when she was here and I think enjoyed being the center of attention. While he was laying on his blanket, I told him "I love you!" He then repeated it in baby talk and yes it did kind of sound like "I love you." He did this twice and even made a noise that sounds like "Hi." It was nice to have Susan come out and tell us things to work on and to watch for.

Wednesday marked a big day for Jr, he officially started........Rice Cereal! After toying with the idea for quite some time, we decided it was time to start some cereal for a number of reasons. First off we've been told that when a baby eats more than 32 oz in a 24 hr period it's time to start some cereal. Secondly Jr just seems to want more than just milk. Lastly we really hate feeding him so much all the time and expanding his stomach, but he wants to eats so we have to do something. We joked to each other, there's a reason they only make 8 oz bottles and not 12 oz! We were hoping to wait until at least 4 months, but I've talked to some moms who started at 3 months (for the same reasons) and seem to be happy with their decision. It can't hurt anything, my mom had us eating baby food at 6 wks. Jeff was eating mashed potatoes at 3 months! So Wednesday night we went and got some new clothes (a lot sized 6 to 9 month) and some baby bowls and spoons. His first feeding was quite interesting. He didn't quite know what to think about being feed at the front of his mouth. It turned into a lot of mom put food in, Jr play with some in his mouth and then out some would come (repeat)! In the end I'm not sure how much really went in his mouth, but plenty got all over his face and bib. I can see the joys of feeding a baby are among us.

Thursday we included some rice cereal with 3 of his feedings. We're trying to get him used to the concept of eating from a spoon. It's funny because I've never really thought about what it must be like to start eating from a spoon. The bottle/nipple is interesting because it enters in the back of the mouth and sucking is a natural reflex for a baby, but food entering from the front of their mouth and having to get it to the back of their mouth is a whole new experience, especially for a 3 month old.

Friday A & I went on a date afternoon while Tina babysat. We went and saw Saw VI; I covered my eyes in the gory parts. It was okay, but both A & I think it's time to wrap it all up. It was nice to get away for a couple hours and be a couple.

Saturday we've watched a little football here and there, but not too much because there weren't too many great of games on. I had a terrible headache that started around 2 and is still lingering around. I had one Thursday and thought it was do to the weather changes, but this one I just don't know what it's about. I took some medicine and we tried using A's machine on it; I think it might of helped, but it really is not going away (very annoying). Nebraska lost to Iowa State by 2 points. They had 8 turnovers; nonetheless it was ugly.

Today I woke up in the middle of the night to pump and what would you know, I still had a headache. My left eye has so much pressure behind and on top of it. I would think it's a sinus headache, but I don't feel stuffed up or anything so I really don't know what's going on. I was hoping to wake up and it be gone, no such luck. We're finishing feeding Jr right now (who doesn't want to eat for whatever reason, he'd rather just talk and smile at daddy) and then we're going to Urgent Care. I really hope this eye ache and headache go away soon.

Jr has quite the little personality. He wants to talk, laugh, and smile while you're feeding him and boy do we have a love bug on our hands. Jr will do anything to snuggle up with you. He absolutely loves to cuddle on your chest and be held. He's discovered his tongue lately; he really seems to be messing around with it and chewing on it. Lately he just started doing this thing when he's starting to get tired he'll take his hands and rub his eyes. It's so cute and fun to see Jr just keep developing in so many ways.

More than anything lately I've been thinking about how I've been a mom for 3 months. It's one of the greatest things to happen to me. Meeting and marrying the man who gave me our son has to be one of the best things to happen to me. I think God brought A into my life for many reasons, but more than anything I think he brought A into my life to show me the light of Christ. I had a somewhat relationship with him before A, but A opened the door for me and a whole new experience. My relationship with our Lord and Savior is growing every day and there isn't a day that goes by that I don't think about what it's going to be like in heaven when I finally meet him face to face. I've never been a big goal person, but if I had to come up with some, here's what a few of them might be:
-To be a good example of a Christian and show others what your life can be like if you ask Jesus into your heart and to be your Lord and Savior.
-To be the best wife I can. To always be there for my best friend in the world. To experience life to the fullest with him and when we grow old, to be able to look back and say....."That was fun and thanks for taking the ride with me!"
-To be a great mom to my son. I want to teach him everything I can about the world. I want him to grow up knowing how much Christ loves him and the sacrifice that He made for us.

Update on Grandma: So Thursday night right before bed I was pumping and checking my email like normal, when I got "the email." The email to tell me that my Grandma's cancer is back....are you kidding me. I called my dad, who had just learned about it from Uncle Bill. I didn't talk to him much since I was headed to bed, but told him I'd talk to him later about everything. It's all I could think about as I went to bed and prayed that the Lord would have His hand over her and give her peace more than anything. I feel terrible for her, my dad and his siblings. It's been a hard year for them with losing Grandpa back in January and now having to deal with Grandma's mouth cancer. All we can do is pray that God with give us the strength to be there for her, give her the strength to fight the cancer (the best she can, given she's very frail), and to give us all peace in our hearts to know that God's will will be done.

“Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me.”-Psalm 51:12

No comments: