Saturday, September 12, 2009

Trip back from Houston & rice cereal

I don't even know where to begin....let's just say yesterday was a very stressful day for Phil, A, Jacob and myself. A said it was probably the worst day of his life.

The day started off great and eventually ended well, but the middle was a mess. I got up around 6 so I could pump, get myself ready, get baby ready, and then head over to meet PJ and A. I got to A's room around 7:15. They were still sleeping, but Jr soon woke them up with all his squeaks and moans. I finished feeding Jr and put him in his stroller so we could finish eating breakfast and get ready to be discharged. About 5 min after I put him in his stroller, he threw up (projectile vomit-it went a couple feet). It got on everything: stroller, car seat, him, etc. PJ and I got it all cleaned up and got Jr changed into outfit #2. For a child that rarely spits up, this was a shock to A and I. Jr had been having diarrhea for about three days, so after this happened I called the dr to see what we should do. I was told to change a couple things in my diet, watch him carefully, and if he spikes a temp I need to take him in. He never did spike a temp or threw up anymore, thank goodness.

A had been in a lot of pain the day before, through the night, and then that morning. They kept giving him meds, but they didn't seem to be helping very much. Nonetheless, we got him discharged from the hospital and headed to the Dr's office for PT. Then came a whirlwind of events: getting A's Rx filled, pumping in a PT office, A throwing up, changing flights for the guys, etc. PJ & I decided it would be best if Jr and I headed back home and for him and A to come back on Saturday. They got A readmitted to the hospital after they got the run around and had a somewhat relaxing evening. Somehow I managed a stroller, car seat, backpack, diaper bag, one big bag, and a 7 1/2 wk old all by myself at the airport. It was a rush at the airport, because I didn't have much time before the flight took off. With what time I did have I pumped, fed child, and managed to feed myself. The flight went well and I was so happy when I finally got home. Jr did awesome during the flight; he just slept the whole way in mommy's arms. He took his paci going up and ate a little on the way down. It was so nice of some people at the airport to offer me a hand. I managed it by myself, but it was nice to see people being so kind. Oh ya, we went through 4 different outfits; good thing I always pack extra!

Tina and Annie came over last night to watch Jr for awhile so I could unpack, start some laundry, and shower. After they left Jr had quite the evening. He was a bottomless pit that would scream if he wasn't being fed. I think part of the reason he was like this was because we had to snack feed all day, because we didn't want him to throw up a whole feeding again, so by the end of the day he was super hungry and wanted food! Well I didn't have any milk stored up (he's eaten everything, even the frozen milk), so after nursing for quite some time and feeding what milk I did have, I finally decided it was time to try some rice cereal. Bob, bless his heart, ran to the store for me to pick up some rice cereal. We mixed it with some breast milk and gave it to Jr. He chugged the 1 1/2 oz that we gave him, so I gave him a little more. I finally put him down around 10:45ish. He woke up at 2:30, ate a little and then went back down till morning.

Today he's been awesome and I think really happy to be back into a normal routine. Even while we were in Houston, I kept to the schedule as best I could, which in turn made both of our lives more enjoyable. I've managed to get some things done around the house and even had time to blog....amazing! PJ & A are suppose to get back tonight around 8. I can't wait to have A back home and to be taking care of both of my babies'! PJ has been a real blessing to us and we really couldn't have done this trip without him.

Overall, Jr did awesome on the trip and we couldn't have asked for a better baby the whole time. I wish A wouldn't have gotten so sick and I pray this is the last time we have to go through this type of thing. I somehow managed to keep Jr fed and happy the whole time; yeah for mommy's sanity. I pumped in an air plane bathroom, airport bathroom, and some PT room. I'm finally back ahead of the breastfeeding game and now have some milk in the fridge, so Jr can eat his 6 oz at every feeding. I think I'll still give him some rice cereal in his last feeding and see how he does through the night.

Now its off to fold laundry, pump, and try to get anything else done that I can before Jr wakes up from his nap (which he's taking in his crib). YEAH!

“Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!”-Philippians 4:4

No comments: