Sunday, November 1, 2009

Happy Halloween, being more Mary like, and carrots

The Carriker Clan had a very Happy Halloween! We had a wonderful day as a family and took Jr around trick or treating in his fireman costume. A went to Walgreens to pick up some more candy (which we didn't even need because we didn't even have 1 trick or treater) and some how we ended up with a some cute decorations too. He got this short, little, creepy looking old man that he has now found joy in putting around the house in random places just to scare me. I think he's just getting me back for all the times I hide around corners and scared him. The best part of it all is that I know he's scared himself a couple times. There was only one house in our court that had their light on, so after stopping by their we walked over to Whitmore. It was a tad bit chilly, so we threw a blanket over the stroller and made sure Jr was cozy and warm. Our little trick or treater did great on our little stroll through the neighborhoods. Everybody thought he was, "Oh so cute!" and was definitely a hit with all the older ladies.

Today I managed to get my haircut and run some quick errands all before settling down to feed Jr and watch the Rams. It was a pretty lazy Sunday, but a much needed restful day for us all. The Rams ended up winning (1-7) against the Lions. Jr took half his nap in his crib and the other half on my chest. There's just those times that you have to savor the moment because before long it'll be gone. It was so nice to relax with A and Jr. I was truly in heaven and couldn't help but thank God for these unbelievable people in my life and this precious moment we were sharing.

As Jr continues to grow I'm really starting to learn it's not about all the big things, but it's about all the little things. It's taking the time to have a conversation with him, play with him, snuggle with him, and enjoy having a child that I so desperately wanted. The same goes for spending time with A. To often I get consumed with caring for a baby, doing laundry, cooking, cleaning, etc. (being a stay home wife and mom), that I forget to take time to be a couple with A. I love how we have our date afternoon each week and really try to focus on us becoming closer as husband and wife. I really do feel that I have a good handle on things now and that I'm slowly catching up after what has been a whirlwind summer and fall. Will I ever be caught up, probably not, but that doesn't matter. What matters in the end is that I took the time to be with my family and friends and enjoyed my life to its fullest. I really think I'm starting to get a handle on being more Mary like in my Martha world!

Some say that college is the best time of your life. Well college for me was a lot of growing and developing into who I am now. I would have to say that right now is one of the best times of my life. And to add to my goals from before, I hope I keep saying this same sentence throughout my whole life. I hope in whatever I'm doing, where ever I am, etc. that I'm having the time of my life and enjoying life to the fullest! I really think this might be a hard goal to achieve, but think its worth striving for.

Overall it's been a great weekend and I really can't complain. My headache is officially been gone for 2 days (thank goodness), Huskers won, Jr had his 1st Halloween and was so happy the whole day, Jr slept in the extra hour (fall back), Rams finally pulled off a victory (what a great way to start the bye week), and I got to spend the whole weekend with my one true love! My life (especially as a mom) is like a roller coaster; there's always unexpected climbs, unbelievable high peaks, crazy twist, and even the surprisingly huge drops........but in the end it's so worth it all and I'd run around to the beginning and hop right back on and do it over and over again. I'm having the time of my life and loving it!

Jr quick highlights:
*11/1: Slept in till 9:00 (technically it was 8, because of day light savings), but the fact is that he slept the extra hour! And to top it off, he went to bed early. He was out in his crib (full and clean) by 8:50!
*11/1: Tried carrots for the first time today. Seemed to like them. Continues to eat 7-10 oz of breast milk at each feeding.

“The earth is filled with your love, O LORD; teach me your decrees.”-Psalm 119: 64

No comments: